Tuesday, November 4, 2014

An autobiography

How my bones were casted and framed, I know not. How I developed a flowered, starred, teddy printed pink skin, am clueless. I was packed in a carton and delivered to a house in Dehradun, sometime in the mid of May, 2010. That's when I believe I took birth and ended my journey from the manufactory to my abode. As is prevalent in the house of the new born, I was elated to see the agog chaos in the house. Little did I realise that all the excitement was on the birth of my master who was just about two weeks older than me. She was the princess of the house and I was to aid her. How many lives are blessed enough to realise the purpose of their being no sooner than their birth! Indeed, I was. Thus, my elation stood justified.

Days passed, and then weeks. But my master didn't even touch me. I started feeling low. Was I forbidden? I was cleaned spick n span regularly, which meant I was adored, yet I had not got to even have a glimpse of the princess. Verily, for no fault of mine! It was human habitude to keep cuddling their new borns and not let them rest on a perambulator. That's what I am, a pram, a baby carriage. The parents, the grandparents, the aunts, the uncles, all kept embracing the new born while I waited for my turn. I waited on and on until the baby turned at least a quarter year old. And then, one fine day the Gods seemed to be pleased. My prayers were answered and I was padded with a clown faced pillow, some colourful rattles and a nice cozy blanket. The princess obliged me for the first time. There she lied on me snuggled in my arms, in a deep sleep filled with sweet dreams. That day I was christened!

I was on a roll now. Soon, it was time for a long journey. I was packed and stowed for my first trip. Lying alongside other luggage, I could see nothing in the dark cargo that took me from Dun to Bangalore. Some pushes and nudges later I reached my home, where the princess and I arrived for the first time in our lives. This was such a chromatic place! My room, the princess'  room to be precise, was filled with such bright, attractive toys. The walls were adorned with amazing baby pictures. Father had decorated our room exquisitely to welcome us home.

Every evening I strolled around the patio and the foyer. Grannies, mothers and kids would swarm around me to adore the one I carried. Sometimes dads too contributed a whistle or a rattle.  There were times when the eager beaver mother pushed me all the way to the grocery store, to return with the baby in my arms and the lock stock and barrel stowed over my entire self. Those were the testing times! Times when I had to prove my mettle. As I reached my youth, I was made to accord the baby's sitting position. Thus, I flaunted my damsel curves! Soon the princess started toddling. She developed an antipathy for me. There were new, more adorable, ingenious devices that led the race while I was left far behind. Occupying one corner of the room, I turned out to be a liability and was soon packed and stowed in the loft. Alas! My old age was round the corner when I thought of flaunting my youthful wings. 

I thought my life was over. The loft seemed to be my grave and all the bubble wraps along with the carton appeared a coffin. I laid there for nearly four years. It was a really long time the Gods took to decide I was fit for heaven or hell. And finally it was heaven on earth! The family was blessed with the younger princess and I got the priceless jewel to adore. I was wiped, cleaned and sunned. Life is full of such pleasant surprises! 

My second innings kept me on my toes from the start. Perhaps the parents had matured. They would use me often and ventured out places with the baby cradled in me. On one such occasion, we holidayed in the hills. The live concert in the resort on a chilly evening by the fireplace titillated my entire being. Age was definitely not a factor in youth! Romance was surely in the air, for Mom and Dad grew nostalgic recollecting their old times spent together as love birds. I was witness to this reminiscence, realising for the first time in my life where the love in the family bloomed. A feeling that would make me stay forever young and keep serving the babies of the house. Amen!